AAAS’s Skin Deep Project was a multi-year project featuring an ambitious outreach and education program aimed at students, teachers, and the general public.
The AAAS Skin Deep Project published The Science Inside Skin, available online and in print. The project also included classroom resources for middle and high school grade levels. The classroom resources include lessons on acne, skin conditions that affect athletes, and how foods and drinks can alter skin health. All are available through Science NetLinks.
The Science Inside Skin book is part of the AAAS Science Inside series, which uses plain language to explain the science behind real-life health issues such as obesity, HIV and AIDS and pregnancy.
As part of the project, AAAS awarded grants to public libraries to do skin health outreach during the fall of 2009. The libraries received $500 toward their outreach projects, plus copies of the AAAS book,The Science Inside Skin.
Thirteen public libraries around the United States and Canada received small grants through the AAAS Skin Deep Project to fund public awareness events related to skin health. The events combined skin care awareness with advice from skin health professionals such as dermatologists as well as tattoo artists and even a beauty queen.
Here’s a full list of the 13 libraries receiving funding through the AAAS Skin Deep Project:
- Coquitlam Public Library, Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada;
- Delaware Academy of Medicine with Sussex County Libraries, Sussex County, Delaware;
- Hamilton-Wenham Public Library, South Hamilton, Massachusetts;
- Lafourche Parish Public Library, Thibodaux, Louisiana.
- Mark & Emily Turner Memorial Library, Presque Isle, Maine;
- Massanutten Regional Library, Harrisonburg, Virginia;
- Mount Pleasant Regional Library, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina;
- North Scituate Public Library, North Scituate, Rhode Island;
- Portneuf District Library, Chubbuck, Idaho;
- Red Feather Lakes Community Library, Red Feather Lakes, Colorado;
- Shelbyville-Shelby County Public Library, Shelbyville, Indiana;
- Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, Topeka, Kansas;
- Upper Darby Township and Sellers Memorial Free Library, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania.